In 1952, Marcel Saury, son of Marius, decided to leave the land of his ancestors and transfer the cooperage from Rieux-Minervois to Brive-la-Gaillarde (Corrèze) in order to be closer to the Bordeaux vineyards and chestnut groves of Limousin, which were at that time the main type of wood used in Saury cooperage workshops.
At first, Marcel Saury moved to 24 rue Noël Boudy. A few years later, the workshop having become too cramped, Marcel Saury had a new workshop built on Eugène Leroy street, now Paul Valéry street (Prefectoral decree of March 19, 1958 authorizing the transfer of the cooperage workshop). The cooperage was then involved in repairing wine barrels and making new barrels.
Marcel Saury filed a building permit in 1972 for demolition of his workshop on rue Eugène Leroy and construction of a new building, twice as large, of about 300 m2, on the same plot. The old workshop was finally kept and two buildings, located at 4 rue Paul Valéry, still exist today.
Marcel Saury retired in 1986 and entrusted the reins of cooperage to his son, Marc, who developed company’s international activity and began export sales to the American market in the early 1990s.
Plan attached to the building permit application filed by Marcel Saury on February 14, 1972 © Archives municipales de Brive-la-Gaillarde